On This Page
Ready To Enrol Your Child?
Call/email us and make an appointment for a visit, and we’ll take you on a tour.
Or apply now.
Checklist: What to Look for In An Early Childhood Education Provider:
- Do the children spend most of their time playing and working with materials or other children? Or, are they left to wander aimlessly, and are expected to sit quietly for long periods of time?
- Do the children have access to various activities throughout the session?
- Do the teachers work with individual children, small groups and the whole group at different times during the session?
- Is the environment is decorated with children’s artwork, their own writing and stories?
- Do the children learn numbers and the alphabet in the context of their everyday experiences?
- Do they learn about the natural world of plants and animals?
- Do they get involved in meaningful activities like cooking which provide the basis for learning activities?
- Do the children work on projects and long periods of time to play and explore? Are work sheets used very little if at all?
- Do the children have an opportunity to play outside every day? Or is outdoor play sacrificed for more instructional time?
- Do teachers read books to children individually or in small groups throughout the day, not just at group story time?
- Is the curriculum is adapted for those who are ahead as well as those who need additional help? Do the teachers recognise that children’s different background and experiences mean that they do not learn the same things time in the same way?
- Do children and their parents look forward to Kindergarten? Do parents feel secure about sending their child, and are the children happy to attend?
If you come for a visit and observe the above, then we think you and your children will feel at home here with us at Matua Plunket Kindergarten.